I’ve been off sick for the past THREE DAYS from work and it’s driving me insane. I don’t do weel with resting, or doing nothing, but right now I’m at a stage where there is nothing else I can do. I got sick from running myself into the ground and giving too much over to my work, my OCD, perfectionism took over, and I needed my work to be perfect. I wasn’t even taking breaks at recess or lunch! And look where it got me, run down with a chest infection. So please, look after yourselves. When it comes down to fight-time, you are the only one in the ring, no one else, so look after the only body you have! Eat well, sleep and rest, exercise, omit positive energy, inspire others and drink lots of water! Everything else that stems from it is a bonus… Rant over…
Anywaaaaaaay, because I’ve been home for three days, I thought I’d play around with some healthy protein baking. It’s always nice to know there is a healthy ‘treat’ there for you, but it’s still following all the rules of clean eating. This recipe surprised me and turned out well. I used to make muffins all the time, but the normal, high-fat, sugary ones, so I combined my past knowledge with a few other recipes that I’d been reading around the traps and made my own flaves. The beauty about muffin recipes are, once you know the base recipe you can create any flavour! Oh, the power!! This recipe is clean, packed with protein, good fats, fibre and is paleo friendly (other than the protein powder!) I’ve been finding different brands of proteins cook better than others, so play with the recipe if you need to. Let me know how they turn out? Enjoy x x
Banana and Coconut Mini Protein Muffins
(I think it works out to around 120 cals a pop)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (flour or ground almonds)
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used unflavoured casein for this recipe, WPI works too)
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1-2 egg whites
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1 tbs stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup macadamia nut oil
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
Heat your oven to around 180C and grease a muffin-tin with a little bit of oil.
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, almond meal, protein, dessicated coconut and stevia and mix well
Add all wet ingredients to the same bowl, and fold through till well combined. (Here is the point you may need to add a little more wet ingredients, dependant on the protein powder. You want it to be moist.)
Divide the mix among 6 muffin holes.
Cook for around 25 minutes or until they are just golden and cooked. They should be bouncy on the top!
Then eat!! Yummmmm! x
Macadamia Nut oil can just be bought from the supermarket.
Also try other flavours:
- Like Choc-tastic Muffins: omit the dessicated coconut, banana and coconut milk. Add 1/4 cup good quality cocoa or raw cacao powder and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus the whole 2 egg-whites.
- Chocolate, banana Muffins: omit the dessicated coconut and coconut milk. Add 1/4 cup good quality cocoa or raw cacao powder and 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk.
- Cappuccino Muffins: omit the dessicated coconut, coconut milk and banana. Add 1-2 tbs instant espresso coffee powder. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk.
You get the picture?… here’s other ideas
- Energy Muffins: …with dried fruit and nuts
- Honey and cinnamon Muffins: …with, pretty self-explanatory…
- Blueberry Muffins: …with, you guessed it, blueberries! Yay!
- Apple Muffins: …you can find a good CLEAN apple puree for this one as well as fresh apple. Also add raisins or sultanas for an extra treat. (Watch the sugar though)